The Chain Bridge was the first permanent bridge linking Pest and Buda and also the first bridge across the Danube. Built between 1839 and 1849, it bears the name of István Széchenyi, one of it main supporters. The Chain Bridge is a three-span, stone pillar suspension bridge, which was designed by the English architect William Tierney Clark and built under the supervision of Adam Clark. The main investor in the construction was Baron George Sina, a Viennese banker. Until 1918, the bridge could only be used for a toll.
Front: The front of the medal has the legend “LÁNCHÍD” and depicts the Bridge, along with the master mark of the designer.
Back:The back of the medal features a panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest, with the legend “BUDAPEST”. The panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest covers an area of sixty hectares and has been protected as a World Heritage site since 1987. The banks of the Danube from Margaret Island to the Szabadság Bridge are part of this heritage, including the architectural ensemble of the Buda Castle District, the Gellért Hill, the Szabadság statue, the Citadel and the Gellért baths on the Buda side, and the Parliament building, the headquarters of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the Gresham Palace, the Vigadó theatre and the Belvárosi parish church on the Pest side. The mint mark BP. and the purity (.999) are found on the back of the medal.
Keywords:Budapest, building, architecture, World Heritage, city, medal, pure silver, silver, series