This series presents the enchanting buildings, spaces and scenery of the Hungarian capital. Since 1825, the Hungarian Academy of Sciences located on Széchenyi Square has housed Hungary’s public science society, which is responsible for promoting and disseminating scientific achievements, supporting research and representing Hungary’s scientific endeavours. It was founded by Count István Széchenyi. The building was completed in 1865, designed by Miklós Ybl. The library of the Academy of Sciences was founded in 1826 and is one of Hungary’s largest collections of scientific works.
Front: The front of the medal bears the legend “MAGYAR TUDOMÁNYOS AKADÉMIA” and depicts the Academy of Sciences building, with the statue of István Széchenyi in the foreground and the
master mark of the designer.
Back:The back of the medal features a panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest, with the legend “BUDAPEST”. The panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest covers an area of sixty hectares and has been protected as a World Heritage site since 1987. The banks of the Danube from Margaret Island to the Szabadság Bridge are part of this heritage, including the architectural ensemble of the Buda Castle District, the Gellért Hill, the Szabadság statue, the Citadel and the Gellért baths on the Buda side, and the Parliament building, the headquarters of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the Gresham Palace, the Vigadó theatre and the Belvárosi parish church on the Pest side. The mint mark BP. and the purity (.999) are found on the back of the medal.
Keywords:Budapest, building, architecture, World Heritage, city, medal, pure silver, silver, series