This series presents the enchanting buildings, spaces and scenery of the Hungarian capital. The Dohány Street Synagogue in Budapest is the world’s second largest synagogue and one of the most impressive Jewish temples in all of Europe. A tender was announced for its design, with the period’s most renowned engineers submitting their plans. The contest was won by the German architect Ludwig Förster (1797-1863), a professor at the Vienna Academy, with a design in the Moorish Revival style. Work on the temple was completed in just under four years, overseen by Ignác Wechselmann (1828-1903), who created a true masterpiece. With Förster absent, some of the work was designed by one of his Hungarian rivals, as the architect Frigyes Feszl drew up the plans for the temple’s sanctuary. The temple was consecrated on 6 September 1859, prior to the major Jewish holidays.
Front: The front of the medal, has the legend “DOHÁNY UTCAI ZSINAGÓGA” and depicts the facade of the synagogue, along with the master mark of the designer.
Back:The back of the medal, features a panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest, with the legend “BUDAPEST”. The panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest covers an area of sixty hectares and has been protected as a World Heritage site since 1987. The banks of the Danube from Margaret Island to the Szabadság Bridge are part of this heritage, including the architectural ensemble of the Buda Castle District, the Gellért Hill, the Szabadság statue, the Citadel and the Gellért baths on the Buda side, and the Parliament building, the headquarters of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the Gresham Palace, the Vigadó theatre and the Belvárosi parish church on the Pest side. The mint mark BP. and the purity (.999) are found on the back of the medal.
Keywords:Budapest, building, architecture, World Heritage, city, medal, pure silver, silver, series