This series presents the enchanting buildings, spaces and scenery of the Hungarian capital. The conical towers on the viewing terrace, built in the neo-Romanesque style according to the plans of Frigyes Schulek along the almost 140 meter long main facade of the Fisherman’s Bastion, symbolise the seven Magyar chieftains from the Hungarian Conquest. Schulek prepared the plans for the 1896 Millennium celebrations and the structure was completed in 1901. Its name harkens back to the Middle Ages, when the fishermen’s guilds were responsible for defending this portion of the castle walls. As part of the Castle District of Buda, the Fisherman’s Bastion has been one of Budapest’s World Heritage sites since 1987.
Front: The front of the medal has the legend “HALÁSZBÁSTYA” and depicts the Bastion with the equestrian statue of St. Stephen, along with the master mark of the designer.
Back:The back of the medal features a panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest, with the legend “BUDAPEST”. The panorama of the Danube banks in Budapest covers an area of sixty hectares and has been protected as a World Heritage site since 1987. The banks of the Danube from Margaret Island to the Szabadság Bridge are part of this heritage, including the architectural ensemble of the Buda Castle District, the Gellért Hill, the Szabadság statue, the Citadel and the Gellért baths on the Buda side, and the Parliament building, the headquarters of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the Gresham Palace, the Vigadó theatre and the Belvárosi parish church on the Pest side. The mint mark BP. and the purity (.999) are found on the back of the medal.
Keywords:Budapest, building, architecture, World Heritage, city, medal, pure silver, silver, series