Ethnographic Museum The plan to create the Museum was born on 5 March 1872, when János Xantus was named to head the Ethnographic Division of the Hungarian National Museum. The Museum moved to its current location in 1973, taking up residence in the former Palace of Justice built for the Hungarian Royal Curia in 1896. The palace was designed by Alajos Hauszmann in 1891. Plans were completed in following June. In his description, he called the style of the building Romanesque. Due to the upcoming Millennial Celebrations, the building was to be completed by 1 May 1896. Construction started on 16 August 1893 and the building was finished on time! One interesting note is that the finishing document written on parchment was built into the structure itself. Alajos Hauszmann was awarded the title Pro litteris et artibus for his efforts.